Monday, January 23, 2006

Motorcycle travesty.

This is a lesson in bad luck. I was in Chile over the holidays and while I was gone my motorcycle was impounded in South Beach for being parked on the street with expired tags. I blame it on the fact that I never received the renewal notice in the mail. Whatever, honest mistake, $467 to correct it, ouch. Logistically though, this presented a problem since upon returning from my trip I found my car in need of emergency repairs. A new battery, tail pipe, and 120k tuneup. Whatever, I dropped it off at the shop, prepared myself for the $862 bill, and asked my soon to be roommate Ovidio to roll me down to the beach for the bike rescue mission. Almost immediately on arrival I realized I had left my keys at the shop with my car. Agghh! Ok, I dealt with it and thought I would just roll the bike to a dark alley or something. Better than incurring the $30/day storage fee, right? (Wrong!) I put the bike in a local park closeby behind a bush and prepared to return to get it soon after. A few days later I returned with a gallon of gas and the keys, to find that the motorcycle battery was dead...DANG! What the heck did I do to deserve this...I left with the battery in hand to trickle charge it at the autoparts store by my house. A few days turned into a week though and when I returned the bike was gone. I found it at the local impound again, now with two parking tickets and $320 in tow fees. Ay papa. New battery in place and the keys got it started and finally back in a safe section of private property...out of the reaches of the tow monster.

1 comment:

Kiwi said...

duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude
here's an MBA-candidate math calculation: (yes I used excel)
COst of bike tickets: $320+$467 = $787
Cost of a new motorcycle battery (I am being conservative here) = $85

Time to drive down to South Beach (30 min) and back (three times) multiplied by how much you get paid per hour....my estimates):
3hours x $40 = $120

Add also Ovidio's time to drive down there and back:
1 hour x $30 = $30

Cost of the battery + time:
$235

Lost money: $320 - 235 = $95

Conclusion: RIchard you are a freaking fool....shoulda pak' in Hava' yard
How you like dem apples?