Monday, August 04, 2014

Where's the Red Ball?

Today was a good day.  My father was much more upbeat and in good spirits compared to yesterday. He says it has something to do with the fact that they let him sleep until 7am for the first time since he arrived. His right arm continues to gain mobility and strength. A few days ago he asked me to get a squishy ball so he can test out his grip with. I went to a couple quickie marts on my path to and from the hospital from my grandmother's house but with no luck. Since these balls are typically free promotional items, I took a chance at asking my grandmother for one.  Sure enough, this produced an assortment of balls, all different colors. I delivered this red one yesterday morning, when he was all grumps.


It wasn't the reaction I expected given *he* asked me for it to begin with. So I took it upon myself to recommend playing with the red ball whenever he would complain about one thing or another. What can I say, humor is the best cure. Turns out he must have been squeezing the ball last night because today he was able to open a pack of salt on his own using his right hand. He can can even raise his right arm to scratch his face. 

Seems the progress has been noted by the neurologists as well because they lifted his "maximum security prison" sentence to one where visitors can stay the night. Here you see him in all his misery as they have him strapped into all sorts of monitoring machines. 


The new spot grants him freedom from wires, so he can flip around in the bed as he sleeps. I've realized getting on his side or face down lets him sleep much better. He still gets a visit from the nursing staff every couple hours for food, drugs, or a checkup. But at least he's cooperative with them now (as opposed to yesterday). 


After the move I realized the red ball had gone missing. I asked about it and a few hours later it turned up. Knowing how he likes messing with me, he might have stuffed it somewhere in his bed. No matter, it's here now and get to keep reminding him to squeeze it.

The best news today is that we will be released tomorrow.  Woot!  The doctor will roll through for a final review at 2pm and then we get to head out to Pirque. The internet connection is a bit flakey out there so not sure when I'll get my next post out, but I'll be working on it.

No comments: