Tuesday, August 05, 2014

Bye Bye Clinic, Hello Pirque

Today my father was released from the Clinica Santa Maria. I expected it to be a happy day but the 2 hours we had to wait to get all the papers signed and collect all his items had him on edge. The final interview with Dr. Bustamante wasn't too eventful. He prescribed what sounded like a life time of pills, specifically:

Xavelto - 20mg once a day - blood thinner
Atorvastatina - 40mg at night - for cholesterol - to work plaque of ateromatosis (stroke blockage)
Omeprasol - 20mg every 12hrs for 2 weeks
Lactuloas - 20ml every 12hrs for constapation
Nicotinel - 30mg patch a day

My primary goal was to get all the exams he had been subjected to on soft copy.  Mainly the CatScans and AngioTac results. I plan on showing these to friends in the medical profession back home in an effort to learn more about his condition. 


Long trip out to Pirque was quiet given my father wasn't in great spirits. Actually the whole day he's been more silent than ever. He was pretty tired since he knocked out for a few hours as soon as we arrived. The peace of being out of the city is definitely calming. Luckily the house had an upgraded WiFi connection from the last time I was here so I'll be able to get some work done.


I feel myself growing frustrated from not being able to do more. His right arm -although he's able to move it- mostly dangles by his side as he moves around. I mentioned it might be best to put it into a sling so as to not throw his balance off but he felt it was better in free motion. Since I don't make it out here often, people naturally want to cater to my needs. I made it clear to Maggi and my father that I didn't want that. My sole purpose was to help him recover, not to hang out. I asked them for direct tasks that I could work on that would make life easier. My father's laptop needed it's keyboard replaced so I started on that. Pretty easy fix though since the part was readily available.

Towards the end of the day I mentioned it again, how I wanted to do more. My father seemed troubled at figuring out how I could help. He told me "I'm trying to correlate my thoughts and figuring out something you can help me with is a distraction at this point." So I guess I'll have to focus on my own stuff until he can formulate a plan. I wish we could do it collaboratively, but then again he's never done it that way before.

No comments: