Sunday, August 03, 2014

Sunday wasn't a Fun Day

Today was not as good of a day as yesterday.  My father's progress is still good but his patience has been reached with some of the hospital staff. He's not as cooperative as he's been. For instance, at one point a nurse came in to give him a pill while he was sleeping. I was working and saw her having difficulty waking him. I got up to help but no dice. All his vital signs were good and I could see him breathing but calling his name or tapping his shoulder had no effect. I couldn't help but wonder if something may be wrong. I shook his ass hard. Nothing. Then I grabbed a bottle of water, filled a cap and poured it down his face. He wiped it off and muttered "por el carajo". No pill was taken.

Conduction
Sinus rhythm
Heart conduct sinus.gif
Atrial fibrillation
Heart conduct atrialfib.gif

One objective that was achieved was talking openly between Maggi, him and I about his recovery plan. After sending his scans out to Jenny, a friend of mine that's a neurologist, we're pretty certain that atrial fibrillation was the likely cause of my father's stroke. This condition is treatable with improved physical fitness, however exercising is not something he sees himself doing to get his condition under control. He believes that he can just remain calm, make some changes to his diet and habits, and be fine.  Maggi and I agree that this sounds like a minimalistic approach in that it doesn't do enough to show that he wants to recover 100%. We left the discussion unfinished though because the hour long debate really wore him out. What I learned is that it will be a psychological battle to convince him to aggressively take control of his reality. It's not enough to have gone through this near death experience or that his youngest son, Ryan, be traumatized by his poor health, more evidence is needed before he will adopt a radical change.  This troubles me.

No comments: