Friday, June 16, 2006

Feeling the love...

This past week has been a blessing for me...since I've been a bit soft lately I'll give you a *CHEESE ALERT*...THISClaimer: The following post may be a source of severe ridicule for the average Cold Hearted SOB, so please refrain from eye-rolling, gentle nodding, pointing, and flat out laughter as the comment section below is the only tool provided for feedback.

And so it's my 32 birthday and boy was it a great one. Starting it off was the arrival of Mami from Chile at the beginning of the month (June 2006). She doesn't visit that often, so it is cool to have her around. One slight mishap though was my absence at Havasu this year. Although she proly wouldn't admit it, I know skippin out to the lake that never sleeps would've been a total buzz kill for her. I got a lot of heat from the Go Dude brotha-hood and even risked missing Vic before a neverending term at sea. Graciously it wasn't so, but I'll admit they had me on edge.

Due to a missing child report sent out indirectly by Berto's mom, I called the boys up to make sure everything was ok. In the exchange I heard what were the receding waters of a tidal wave of love coming my way. Havasu stories were funny as ever, culminating with the announcement of Rod's engadgement...(I plan on making his wedding experience as seamless as ever). Their comments like "we woulda subsidized your trip" and "we voted you off the crew", were all small torture trips of my missing out. But one subtle P.S. brought it all back to love...from Joser: "P.S. So that you can't say that we forget about you. Happy 32nd Birthday." It turned everything around for me...transforming what seemed to be a collection of Grundy hating into clear messages that I was with them in spirit throughout the trip...that's priceless indeed. I'm still looking forward to the Rod's Famous Havasu Top10...one of everyone's favorite renditions of the traditional trip.

From my end of the country I spent my days building up to June 13, planning a day at the beach...going all out to gather the best of my south florida peoples. I must have gone to Target like 8 times exchanging and stocking up on supplies for an Evite list of close to 50 people. Then the rain came (and the wind)...talk about the ultimate disaster. I had preplanned for the bad weather (given Tropical Storm Alberto knocking on our door), so I had a sturdy gazebo to protect the munitions. Being the only ones at the beach along with Mami, my borther Mark, cunada Kim, and sobrinos Jonah and Ryan, it was certain that the life gaurds' evacutation alert due to lightning threats was aimed directly at us, :) So we gathered the soppinng sand covered gear and headed home in shame.

Plan B's execution was impecable...rerouting the group to Lucky Strike for a day of bowling took surprisingly little effort, thanks to Jeff and Ovi. We the hours chatting between gutter balls and drinks, all while watching the World Cup matches and the Miami Heat ass-wooping...

Then came the 13th...a Tuesday...another day or surprises. Ovi gets the win on the first one to grant me best wishes...then a flurry of emails, ecards, text messages and phone calls showered my day...a few random folks definitely caught me off gaurd, never expecting them to be aware of what the day meant to me or to get me something. I really felt special and I thank them all for it...including those reading this post, :)

The crazy part it that as satisfied as I was, there was more. Mami se paso...organizo y implemento una cena de compleanos que fue espectacular. Uno de los pocos cumpleanos como adulto que he disfrutado con la compania de tanta familia. It was awesome really, Tia Ani, Mami, Alan (hermano), Mark (hermano), Kim (cunanda), el Negro (Orlando), y yo. La pasamos conversando y hechando bromas toda la noche. They almost got away without me snagging a picture, but on my day I wouldn't allow it.


No comments: