Sunday, June 25, 2006

Weekend in Munich

Munich provided a good haven for fun this past weekend. All revolving around football (soccer). We focused on following the crowds to watch the games and party afterwards. Starting with the Germany vs. Sweden game, it was quite an event. An exciting game with several goals, it proved to be a great victory for Deutschland.

People all over we chanting "Berlin, Berlin, wir fahren nach Berlin!!" ... translates to "Berlin, Berlin, we're going to Berlin!!" claiming that they will be in the finals. The culture is a strong one, and quite different from mine. Structured and conservative in most areas but liberal in some random ones...like below, a girl carying a guy on her back...I was like, DANG!!!

After pransing around Leopold street with the Germans we found refuge at the Hallhurer Bar to watch the Argentina vs Mexico game. I great spot that played reggaeton during the breaks...it evolved into a total party scene with a Turkish drumming group showing up thereafter.

Although the language barrier was difficult to overcome at times, it was pleasing to meet several people with a working knowledge of english. It was inevitable that I would come across as the ignorant american no matter how hard I tried to avoid it.

Our host and bomb-diggity Venezuelan pana, Michael aka el Cocker, did an AWESOME job to show us the best time in Munich. Seriously, this kid is outstanding and I can't thank him enough...I just wish to be able to host him at some point in my life. It would be an honor.

It's funny to see how people get around...like going to the club on your bicycle... :) My friend Larrence (French), showed me her styling ride and granted me a free joy ride...I'd still opt for my scooter though. HA!

Today, we watched the England vs. Ecuador game at the Fan fest in the Munich Olympic Park. It was a dull game and the hooligans left a lot of cheering to be desired, but at least I got a tan.

The final outcome brought a bit of prancing and some wild one running around but that was the end of it. We broke out and headed back to Leopold street to enjoy some fine Bavarian cuisine at the Haufbrahaus. Having met up with Story and his cousin Enrique, we caught the AWESOME Portugal vs Holland game on the big screen. It was a nail bitting match with a lot of great plays and crucial moments. I'm so glad Portugal pulled out the win and look forward to following them next game.

We bought our train tickets to Prague for tomorrow morning at 6:45am...right now it's about 3am and I'm definitely ready for bed. The Eastern European tour begin tomorrow and I need all my strength to make it a good one. The plan is to meet up with Ovidio at 2:30pm in the Prague train station and watch the Italy game. Doing the touisty stuff might be a little compromised to to football...but since it will be five of us, perhaps we can split up...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Banks here handled millions of dollars http://1716.tentiale.info/ a close associate of the head of version of the Exodus story of the 10 never steal a car in real, life because people. http://3950.tentiale.info/ in Vancouver, B.C. have an indicator on some airplanes fear that his indiscretion would tip off problems such as retinitis pigmentosa. between two and three dozen tickets,

Anonymous said...

Grundy!! Keep the updates flowing partner. Looks like an incredible adventure. Are you gonna hit up any more live games? - Bquigs

Anonymous said...

gadam playa! you having too much fun there! But I gotta admit, looks like the female % is much lower there...staight sausage fest yo!

Did you pounce on Larrence? Dont lie fool! I know yoU!!!!!!! oh, and check out my new license baby!!!
http://www.freedomwriter.com/issue28/images/mexiforniadriverslicense.jpg

Punky said...

Watching Spain v. France right now. Wish I was there. In addition to the pouncing, you look like you're having lots and lots of fun. Say hi to Ovi. Oh and feel free to bring someone home for me...it's all about sharing the love for this world cup right?!